A visitor visa allows you to enter the UK for up to 6 months in a 12 month period. This type of visa caters for people wanting to travel to the UK on a temporary basis. The general visitor category will apply to holidaymakers and non-EEA nationals wishing to visit friends or family.
General visitors are not allowed to work, study, marry or form civil partnerships or receive private medical treatment and must be able to fund their trip. It is important to be able to demonstrate a clear intention to leave the UK at the end of the visit.
In addition, to the general visitor category, there are number of variants of visit visa that will allow an individual to undertake a specific task. These include:
Regardless of the purpose of the visa, the conditions that apply to a general visitor apply to most other visitor categories listed above in that the visa is issued on a temporary basis and the applicant must show a clear intention to return to their country of origin at the end of their visit to the UK.
RLegal has over 20 years of experience in advising and assisting clients with such applications.
For more information, please contact us on +44 (0)20 7038 3980 where you can talk to one of our team or email us on email@example.com
Alternatively click on the links below for frequently asked questions.
The legal criteria a person must satisfy when applying for a visit visa are that they:
- must be ‘genuinely seeking entry to the UK for either the period stated and not exceeding 6 months;
- intend to leave at the end of the period requested; not intend to take employment;
- not intend to produce goods or services, including the selling of services directly to the public;
- not intend to take a course of study;
- can adequately maintain and accommodate themselves and any dependants;
- can meet the cost of their travel; is not under the age of 18;
- not intend to undertake one of the specified activities within the business visit category;
- not intend, to marry or form a civil partnership or give notice to form one during the visit;
- not intend to receive private medical treatment; and is not in transit to a country outside of the common travel area.
- Comprehensive legal advice.
- Ensuring your application meets the legal requirements.
- Completion and submission of all forms.
- Booking a biometric appointment.
- Ongoing liaison with the authorities where possible.
To find out more about our visitor visa services, please contact us on +44 (0)20 7038 3980 or use our online form.