Skip to main content Skip to footer

Points Based System Dependants Visa

Dependant family members of those in work permission in the UK can apply to join their partners. Applying as a dependant is open to spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners, same-sex partners, and unmarried children under 18 years of age.

Work routes include:

Skilled worker (and previously Tier 2 migrant)

Global Business Mobility routes

Minister of Religion

International Sportsman

Representative of Overseas Businesses

UK Ancestry

Global Talent

High Potential Individual



Temporary routes such as Creative Worker, Religious Worker, Charity Worker, Government Authorised Scheme, and International Agreement.  

However, since 11 March 2024, dependants of care workers on the skilled worker route are unable to come to the UK.

Dependants of workers may be able to apply to enter from either within the UK, subject to holding appropriate visa permission which is not short term, or from overseas. Dependants will be granted permission to stay in the UK in line with the main visa holder.

To qualify for this category your partner must hold permission and you must:

be in a genuine relationship

intend to live together permanently and

be capable of meeting a set maintenance requirement.

Dependants of those on work routes are subject to meeting a financial requirement but this will depend on how long the sponsor or they have been in the UK for.

Dependants of those applying through the work route will need to pay an application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge fee.

RLegal will guide you through all the evidential requirements and assist you from start to finish with your application. We have over 20 years experience of lodging such applications. 

For more information, please contact us on +44 (0) 207 038 3980 where you can talk to one of our team, email us at or complete our online enquiry form.

Alternatively click on the links below for frequently asked questions.

Family members who have applied for the PBS Dependant category after 9 July 2012 will need to demonstrate that they have been resident in the UK for a period of five years before they will qualify for indefinite leave to remain.


This means that at the same time the applicant applies for indefinite leave, a spouse who does not fulfil the residence requirement will need to extend their dependant permission for the requisite period of time. Each extension of dependant status will be granted for 3 years.


Those who have been granted permission or applied before 9 July 2012 will only have to show two years residence in the UK to qualify for indefinite leave to remain. Children born within the UK before 9 July 2012 will be able to apply for indefinite leave at the same time as the main applicant.


Children born in the UK after 9 July 2012 or who have joined the main applicant in the UK after this time will only be able to apply for indefinite leave if both parents are applying at the same time.


Adult PBS Dependants will need to meet a minimum English language requirement as well as passing a Life in the UK Test before they apply for indefinite leave.

Comprehensive legal advice.


Ensuring your application meets the legal requirements.


Assistance with compiling the evidence required for this category.


Completion and submission of all forms.


Booking a biometric appointment.


Ongoing liaison with the authorities where possible.


If you would like to discuss your dependency visa requirements in more detail, please contact us on +44 (0)20 7038 3980, email us at or use our online enquiry form.

Contact us

Interested in our services? Contact us and one of our solicitors will contact you

This website uses a number of essential cookies to operate. Please read our privacy policy for more information