Skip to main content Skip to footer

Fiancé & Proposed Civil Partner Visa

This page is about visas for people who are engaged to be married or a civil partnership. It discussed the requirements, timescales, fees and next steps. If you or your fiance are looking to relocate to the Uk, Rlegal immigration solicitors can assist with the fiance visa application process.

If you intend to marry or enter a civil partnership in the UK you may require a fiancé or proposed civil partner visa if you intend to settle here. As with the spouse and civil partner categories, the law and evidence requirements can be complex – the Home Office refuses approximately 1 in 5 family related applications (Immigration Statistics, Apr-Jun 2013).

If you and your partner simply wish to enter the UK to marry and return to your home country, it may be worth considering applying for a visit for marriage visa which enables you to do this.

We strongly recommend that you contact us for good legal advice.

A fiancé or proposed civil partner visa is valid for 6 months during which time you should travel to the UK, marry your partner and apply to change your visa to either the spouse or civil partner category following the marriage or civil partner ceremony.

You can leave and re-enter the UK on a fiancé or proposed civil partner visa but you cannot study, take employment or engage in business. If you do intend to travel whilst here please note that you may be subject to further questioning on when you re-enter as the immigration service may want to reassess your intentions. We recommend you carry the marriage or civil partner certificate if the ceremony has taken place to show compliance with the laws and look to change the visa as soon as practical.

Your partner must be either British or settled in the UK (i.e. hold indefinite leave to remain or permanent residence) and you must:

  • both be over the age of 18
  • intend to marry within 6 months of the issue of the visa
  • intend to live together permanently
  • speak and understand English to a minimum level and
  • be capable of supporting and housing yourselves.

RLegal will guide you through the complex evidential requirements and assist you from start to finish with your application. We have over 20 years experience of lodging successful applications in the fiancé and proposed civil partner visa routes. We will take the worry out of the process and give you peace of mind.

For more information, please contact us on +44 (0)20 7038 3980 where you can talk to one of our team, email us on or complete our online enquiry form

Alternatively click on the links below for more detailed information.

About the author


uSkinned, the world’s number one provider of Umbraco CMS themes and starter kits.

This website uses a number of essential cookies to operate. Please read our privacy policy for more information