Immigration Solicitors London

Est. 2002

+44 (0)20 7038 3980

RLegal Solicitors, 162-168 Regent Street London W1B 5TG

RLegal is regulated by the SRA, Reg No: 00380691

Travelling to the UK using EU, EEA and Swiss ID cards from 1 October 2021


Currently EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can travel to the UK using either a valid passport or a national identity (ID) card.


This will change on 1 1 October 2021 when changes to government legislation will mean that most EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can only travel to the UK using a valid passport, unless they have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme on or before 30 June 2021 (with few exceptions). ID cards will no longer be accepted for travel to the UK from this date, unless the exceptions apply. EU, EEA and Swiss nationals are encouraged to heed this advice as attempting to travel to the UK on an ID card after 1 October may lead to a refusal of entry at the border.


End of EEA Family Permit on 30 June


The validity of EEA family permits will end on 30 June 2021 and no new applications for EEA family permits will be accepted after this date.


You should not attempt to travel to the UK on an EEA family permit, regardless of the date it was issued, or the validity date printed on it, after 30 June 2021.


Reminder to apply for EU Settled or Pre-settled Status


European nationals and their dependant family members are reminded that the deadline to secure their right of residence in the UK is rapidly approaching. The UK departed the European Union on 31 December 2020 and the end of the transitional period for securing a right of residence ends on 30 June 2021. If you are an affected national, we strongly urge you to apply for either EU Settled or Pre-settled Status as a priority before 30 June.


RLegal Solicitors have been assisting clients to navigate the complexities of the UK immigration system since 2002. If you would like to discuss your immigration matters, please get in touch via our web site, by email or by telephone.